Civil Actions Against Merseyside Police

Civil actions against Merseyside Police

If you have been a victim of police misconduct, harassment or have been mistreated by Merseyside Police whilst in police custody in the Merseyside or Liverpool region, you could be entitled to compensation. You do not have to accept poor police conduct, if your civil liberties, or human rights have been infringed, HNK Solicitors can pursue this for you.

We have a team of experienced and dedicated Actions Against the Police and civil liberties solicitors with specialist knowledge in this area, who can help provide you with expert advice and support every step of the way. We want to ensure you get the outcome you desire, whether this is a formal apology, disciplinary action against the Merseyside Police officer(s) involved, or compensation for your mistreatment.

Merseyside Police force is the seventh largest police force in the country, covering an area of 250 square miles, and serving a population of around 1.5 million. It polices the North-West of England, and covers the boroughs of Liverpool, Sefton, Wirral, St Helens, and Knowsley.

HNK Solicitors have successfully sued Merseyside Police on behalf of numerous clients, so we have plenty of experience in pursuing civil actions against Merseyside Police force. Whether you have been subject to police misconduct as a resident of the Liverpool and Merseyside region, or just whilst visiting the area, we can help you pursue a claim against Merseyside Police force. HNK Solicitors are based in Liverpool, so we are expertly located to help people wanting to pursue claims against Merseyside Police.

We understand this process can be challenging and emotionally demanding but our expert solicitors will guide you through the process. We represent clients throughout Merseyside in a wide variety of police conduct cases.

Examples of Merseyside Police misconduct:

There are many different types of police misconduct which you can claim against Merseyside Police for, including:

Assault and battery

Police dog bites

Wrongful arrest/False Imprisonment

Unlawful stop and search


Breach of human rights (e.g. unlawful strip search/trespass to your home)

Malicious prosecution

Trespass to property

Misfeasance in public office (abuse of power by the police)

Discrimination under the equality act (e.g. racial, sexual, etc.)

Retention/misuse of personal information such as DNA and finger-prints

Disclosure and Barring service complaints

Judicial Review

Breach of data protection

How do I claim?

Step 1

Get in touch using our contact forms or any details provided throughout the site.

Step 2

We will arrange a free consultation with you to discuss your claim.

Step 3

If you have a valid claim, we will accept your case on a No Win No Fee basis.

Step 4

HNK Solicitors obtain £10,900 for a Claimant following the unlawful retention of their data by Police

Read about how HNK Solicitors successfully obtained £10,900 for a claimant after their data was unlawfully retained by police.

What should you do if you have been mistreated by Merseyside Police?

You need to make a complaint to Merseyside Police force within one year of the incident. Ideally, this should be a written statement with your full name, address and contact information as well as details of the allegation and complaints you are making. Merseyside Police’s complaints process can be quite complex, so it is beneficial to instruct a specialist solicitor on police conduct. Consult HNK before you make your complaint to Merseyside Police, and we can review it for you. The purpose of the complaint is to have the particular officer investigated for the complaint that was made.

Merseyside Police then allocates your complaints to an officer or to the professional standards department to investigate it. It will then be dealt with in one of two ways. Local resolution is used in less serious complaints, and Local Investigation is used for more serious complaints, where a complaint needs to be investigated further. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the investigation you are given 28 days to appeal the decision.

The civil action against the police is conducted with the purpose of obtaining compensation for mistreatment and/or an admission of liability. Actions against Merseyside Police are often highly defended, so it is highly advised you have an experienced legal team, such as ourselves, to help fight your case for you, if you want a successful outcome.


What can we do for you?

Our actions against the police and civil liberties solicitors have fought many cases throughout Merseyside and are recognised as leaders in the field of human rights law and actions against the police.

We are proud to offer a no-win, no-fee service, depending on the facts of your case and an initial assessment. This means you won’t have to pay a penny upfront. We also routinely act under private funding and legal expenses policies. Contact us today to find out more.

Free Consultation

Contact us today to arrange a free no-obligation discussion about your case against Merseyside Police.


Dependent on the details of your case we can offer a no-win-no-fee service, so it won’t cost you a penny to begin the process of making your civil liberties claim. You are then only expected to pay a percentage of the compensation you are awarded when your case is won.

Get The Outcome You Desire

Our expert lawyers will fight the police complaint on your behalf, to get the outcome you desire.


Our AAP department deals with cases where there have been allegations of Police Misconduct from Merseyside Police.

We have helped clients throughout the Merseyside and Liverpool region, who have suffered a range of issues, such as:

  • Wrongful Arrest and imprisonment
  • Wrongful stop and search
  • Discrimination
  • Malicious Prosecution
  • Assault and Battery
  • Trespass to property
  • Human Rights breaches
  • Data protection breaches
  • Seizure of property

We try our best to help anyone who has encountered a problem with the Police. We regularly accept instructions from clients nationwide.

Our office is based in Liverpool City Centre, so we are in the perfect location for those wanting to pursue a claim against Merseyside Police. Our expert Actions Against the Police department often represents clients from all over England and Wales though, so do not worry if you do not live in Liverpool or cannot make it to our office.

We can deal with matters by way of telephone, letter, and email. We also have a facility so that our clients can sign documentation electronically to not only speed the process of progressing your case but helping us do our bit for the environment too!

In this country, as long as you do not have a civil restraint order, you can issue Court proceedings, however, actions against Merseyside Police are highly contentious.

In our view, the litigation process can be complex for the layperson, so we urge anyone who is wanting to take Merseyside Police to court to seek legal advice before doing so. Further, it would be imperative to understand the litigation process and the law to ensure you have the best chance of success

If you have suffered an injustice or misconduct by Merseyside Police, it is important to act quickly so all relevant footage can be retained.

If you instruct us, our specialist team will ensure a request is made for all footage and ensure Merseyside police force do everything reasonable to help secure the same.

A police complaint is different from a police claim, as the complaint deals with the standards of professional behaviour and whether the officer has breached the same.

If the officer is found to be in breach, then sanctions may be imposed against the officer, such as dismissal, suspension, restricted duties or a warning. The complaints process can also refer the officer to the Crown Prosecution Service.

Unfortunately, in our experience, officers are rarely sanctioned, and the complaints procedure is not always fit for purpose. A police claim, on the other hand, deals solely with compensation following police misconduct. Unlike a complaint, a civil claim is pursued through the Court system and if successful, can result in damages and legal costs being paid by the Defendant police force.

Initial complaints need to be made to Merseyside police force within one year of the incident. A claim for personal injury damages needs to be made within three years of the incident.

Other aspects of your claim such as matters arising under the Human Rights Act must be made within one year. For discrimination complaints, a complaint must be made within six months of the incident. In other areas such as malicious prosecution, false imprisonment, and misfeasance in public office, a claim must be made within six years.

No Win No Fee, Free Consultation

Please fill out the form below to get started with your claim

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.
Terms & Conditions