Covid19 Announcement - View Here
Mon-Thu 09:00-19:00 | Fri 09:00-17:00
0151 203 1104
Covid19 Announcement - View Here

Civil Actions Against West Midlands Police

Have you ever been the victim of police misconduct?

Civil Actions Against West Midlands Police

If you have been a victim of police misconduct, harassment or have been mistreated by West Midlands police whilst in police custody in the West Midlands, you could be entitled to compensation. You do not have to accept poor police conduct, if your civil liberties or human rights have been infringed, HNK Solicitors can pursue this for you.

We have a team of experienced and dedicated Actions Against the Police and civil liberties solicitors with specialist knowledge in this area, who can help provide you with advice and support every step of the way. We want to ensure you get the outcome you desire, whether this is a formal apology, disciplinary action against the West Midlands Police officer(s) involved, or compensation for your mistreatment.

West Midlands Police force is the second largest police force in the country, covering an area of 348 square miles, and serving a population of around 2.8 million. It polices the very centre of the country, and covers the three major cities of Birmingham, Wolverhampton, and Coventry, as well as the boroughs of Sandwell, Walsall, Solihull, and Dudley.

Step 1

Get in touch using our contact forms or any details provided throughout the site.

Step 2

We arrange a free consultation with you to discuss the case

Step 3

If accepted we will action your case on a no win no fee basis.

HNK Solicitors have successfully sued West Midlands Police on behalf of numerous clients, so we have plenty of experience in pursuing civil actions against West Midlands Police force. Whether you have been subject to police misconduct as a resident of the West Midlands, or just whilst visiting the area, we can help you pursue a claim against West Midlands Police force. We regularly accept instructions from clients nationwide. Do not worry if you cannot make it to our office, as we can deal with matters by way of telephone, letter, and email, and have a facility for clients to sign documentation electronically to speed up the process.

We understand this process can be challenging and emotionally demanding but our expert solicitors will guide you through the process. We represent clients throughout the West Midlands, in a wide variety of police conduct cases. Some are instances of minor conduct issues however others are serious failings and gross misconduct issues that have resulted in officers being sent to prison and dismissed.

Examples of West Midlands Police Misconduct:

There are many different types of police misconduct which you can claim against West Midlands Police for, including:

  • Assault and battery
  • Police dog bites
  • Wrongful arrest/False Imprisonment
  • Unlawful stop and search
  • Negligence
  • Breach of human rights (e.g. unlawful strip search/trespass to your home)
  • Malicious prosecution
  • Misfeasance in public office (abuse of power by the police)
  • Discrimination under the equality act (e.g. racial, sexual, etc.)
  • Retention/misuse of personal information such as DNA and finger-prints
  • Disclosure and Barring service complaints
  • Judicial Review
  • Trespass to property
  • Breach of data protection

Download Our Guide

Get in touch

Fill out the below form and one of our advisors will get in touch to arrange a consultation about your claim.

Call 0151 203 1104 Mon – Thu 09:00-19:00
Fri – 09:00-17:00

What should you do if you have been mistreated by West Midlands Police?

You need to make a complaint to West Midlands Police force within one year of the incident. Ideally, this should be a written statement with your full name, address, and contact information, as well as details of the allegation and complaints you are making. West Midlands Police’s complaints process can be quite complex, so it is beneficial to instruct a specialist solicitor on police conduct. Consult HNK before you make your complaint to West Midlands Police, and we can review it for you. The purpose of the complaint is to have the particular officer investigated for the complaint that was made.


West Midlands Police then allocates your complaint to an officer or to the professional standards department to investigate it. It will then be dealt with in one of two ways. Local resolution is used in less serious complaints, and Local Investigation is used for more serious complaints, where a complaint needs to be investigated further. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the investigation you are given 28 days to appeal the decision.


The civil action against the police is conducted with the purpose of obtaining compensation for mistreatment and/or an admission of liability. Actions against West Midlands Police are often highly defended, so it is highly advised you have an experienced legal team, such as ourselves, to help fight your case for you, if you want a successful outcome.

What can we do for you?

Our actions against the police and civil liberties solicitors have fought many cases against West Midlands Police throughout the West Midlands and are recognised as leaders in the field of human rights law and actions against the police.


We are proud to offer a no-win, no-fee service, depending on the facts of your case and an initial assessment. This means you won’t have to pay a penny upfront. We also routinely act under private funding and legal expenses policies. Contact us today to find out more.

Free Consultation

Contact us today to arrange a free no-obligation discussion about your case against West Midlands Police.


Dependent on the details of your case we can offer a no-win, no-fee service, so it won’t cost you a penny to begin the process of making your civil liberties claim. You are then only expected to pay a percentage of the compensation you are awarded if your case is successful.

Get the outcome you desire

Our expert lawyers will fight the case on your behalf, to get the outcome you desire.

What can your Actions Against West Midlands Police department help me with?

Our AAP department deals with cases where there have been allegations of Police Misconduct from West Midlands Police.
We have helped hundreds of clients throughout the West Midlands, who have suffered a range of issues, such as:

• Wrongful Arrest and imprisonment
• Wrongful stop and search
• Discrimination
• Malicious Prosecution
• Assault and Battery
• Trespass to property
• Human Rights breaches
• Data protection breaches
• Seizure of property

Can you help with my claim against West Midlands police?

We try our best to help anyone who has encountered a problem with the Police. We regularly accept instructions from clients nationwide. Our office is based in Liverpool city centre, so we are not too far from those wanting to pursue a case against West Midlands Police. Our expert Actions Against the Police department often represent clients from all over England and Wales and take on cases against a variety of police forces. We can deal with matters by way of telephone, letter, and email. We also have a facility so that our clients can sign documentation electronically to not only speed the process of progressing your case but helping us do our bit for the environment too!

Can I take West Midlands police to court myself?

In this country, as long as you do not have a civil restraint order, you can issue Court proceedings, however, actions against West Midlands police are highly contentious. In our view, the litigation process can be complex for the layperson, so we urge anyone who is wanting to take West Midlands police to court to seek legal advice before doing so.

Further, it would be imperative to understand the litigation process and the law to ensure you have the best chance of success.

Won’t West Midlands Police just delete the video footage?

If you have suffered an injustice or misconduct by West Midlands Police, it is important to act quickly so all relevant footage can be retained. If you instruct us, our specialist team will ensure a request is made for all footage and ensure West Midlands police force do everything reasonable to help secure the same.

What is the difference between a police complaint and a police claim?

A police complaint is different from a police claim, as the complaint deals with the standards of professional behaviour and whether the officer has breached the same. If the officer is found to be in breach, then sanctions may be imposed against the officer, such as dismissal, suspension, restricted duties or a warning. The complaints process can also refer the officer to the Crown Prosecution Service.

Unfortunately, in our experience, officers are rarely sanctioned, and the complaints procedure is not always fit for purpose.

A police claim, on the other hand, deals solely with compensation following police misconduct. Unlike a complaint, a civil claim is pursued through the Court system and if successful, can result in damages and legal costs being paid by the Defendant police force.

When should I make a complaint to West Midlands Police?

Initial complaints need to be made to West Midlands Police force within one year of the incident. A claim for personal injury damages needs to be made within three years of the incident. Other aspects of your claim such as matters arising under the Human Rights Act must be made within one year. For discrimination complaints, a complaint must be made within six months of the incident. In other areas such as malicious prosecution, false imprisonment and misfeasance in public office, a claim must be made within six years.


Call us on - 0151 203 1104 | Email us at -


  • Thank you for your prompt help in this matter. All your telephonists were polite and well informed and dealt with my queries promptly.

    Julie Mayfield
  • Can you please pass on my appreciation to all the members of staff at Higgs – Newton – Kenyon who were involved in my case but especially to Michelle Jenkins who has been an absolute star. Many thanks.

    Christopher Peter Wood
Latest News

Our Case studies

Image of a young person video calling whilst driving

Nearly 1 in 5 Young People Admit To Video Calling Whilst Driving

Mobile phones are apart of a lot of people everyday lives. Texting, calling, tweeting or posting on social media can...
Body camera footage demonstrates police misconduct.

Leaked Review of Body-worn Footage Reveals Police Misconduct

Surges of social media posts, video footage and leaked documents showing controversial misconduct by UK police have caught the attention...
illegal covid house party

Family blame gatecrashers for party teen’s £10,000 Covid fine

Coming home to find a teenage party has been gatecrashed by dozens of drunk people their child does not know...

How do I claim?

For more information on how to claim please click this button

Claim Now
Call Us Claim Now